Saturday October 18th

Sorry no update recently.  Pictures won’t upload.  Grr.  Will try to upload pics later.

I was sick yesterday.  Fever, vomiting and diarrhea.  Yuck.  I spent most of the day sleeping and in the bathroom.  I woke up this morning about 6am feeling pretty good.  Took my temp, no fever.  I got up and moving and decided I felt good enough to go out with everyone else to the work day today.  More on that in a few, back to yesterday…

Fred got into Haiti on Thursday – the same day DD was leaving.  We went into Port to pick him up and drop DD off.  I’m assuming DD got home OK, but haven’t talked to her.

Friday morning was the day I woke up sick and the day that we were to go to Dessable, the village where Schnider and his family live.  I had been considering not going, because as much as I wanted to see Schnider – I wasn’t sure it would be best for him to see me again this soon after going home.  I didn’t want to hinder his adjustment to his family or for him to expect me to come back for him.  It was a hard decision, but when I woke up sick that morning, my decision was pretty much made for me.  I didn’t go.  Schnider’s mom, grandma and big brother showed up here late morning to lead Fred to their village.  We got the donkey’s loaded up with the rest of the stuff for Schnider and the family and they headed out.

I spent the rest of the day sleeping.  I woke up, ate a Reese Cup, laid around for a while contemplating whether or not it was going to come back up, read a book and went back to sleep.  Real exciting.

So this morning I woke up feeling pretty great.  The group planned to leave about 7am.  I had no idea what we were doing but I figured even if I didn’t work I could at least get out and take some pictures.  We loaded up into the truck and headed down the road to the point where the road is washed out and you have to drive through the river.  The job for today was to gather rocks and fix a spot where the road is falling out.   We spent a little time gathering big rocks for the men that were putting the “wall” together.  I’m afraid I wasn’t much help – but I tried.  After a while we went down into the river to gather small rocks that would be used to fill in the huge ruts in the road.  I can’t even begin to explain the roads out here.  They are passable by truck, but just barely.  I helped with loading the buckets full of little rocks in the river, which was kinda fun at first but it started getting really hot.  I could feel myself baking in the sun so I slathered on sunscreen every 20 minutes or so.  (I still came back with a bad burn on on my back and face).  After breaking for a lunch of PB&J – we headed back into the river where Charles (Lori’s husband) wanted to try to build a dam to re-direct the river.  The people here are amazing.  I am in awe of the strength of these people.  Jeanne and I would struggle to lift on large rock (together!) and some guy would walk by and pick it up like it was nothing.  Little kids that were around playing in the river or getting water stopped to help and were carrying rocks.  Some had one on the head and one in each arm.   Amazing.

The dam building was pretty cool.  It was more in the shade and we were in the river so it was cooler.  Kids came around just to watch us, and some to help.  I spent some time taking pictures of the kids (and a few adults) and then showing them their pictures.  They got a big kick out of that.  Especially one older lady (below) who just rolled with laughter when I told her that her picture was “belle” or pretty.  Lori said I have a friend for life now. :)

After Charles called it quits we headed back to the truck which was coming.  It had Fred in it!  He was back from the mountains and seeing Schnider’s family.  He brought me a bunch of video.  S. seems to be doing really well with his family.  I was so excited to see how attached he seemed to be to his mom.  Their new house looks awesome (thank you to everyone that donated!) and the family is so cute.  I will get it all uploaded when I get home.  It was wonderful to see him and to see how he is doing.  It makes me feel a lot better and more at peace with the situation.  I still miss him terribly (so much it hurts to even think about him) but I know he is where he is supposed to be.

We’re all just hanging out now, tending to our sore muscles and (my) sunburn.  I think there was some talk of church tomorrow, but I’m not sure who all is going.  I’ll try to update more later.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: